Throwback Thursday: Glasgow fire a warning shot at Scotstoun

Charlie Talbot-Smith
16 May 2019

Share this article

We need only cast our minds back a matter of weeks for the last time Ulster and Glasgow Warriors met as they prepare to do battle in the first semi-final of the Guinness PRO14 Final Series.

It will be a Scotstoun farewell for Glasgow talisman Stuart Hogg and Ulster will be well and truly looking to try and spoil the full-back’s leaving party.

Glasgow have been in flying form in the lead up to the knock-out phase, winning their last eight league games of the season while Ulster showed their worth to come through a tough quarter-final test against Connacht in the absence of injured star man Jacob Stockdale.

The prolific Irishman could return for the semi-final to give Ulster a major boost – but he could do nothing as Glasgow beat Ulster with ease on April 5:


Ulster actually started the brightest at Scotstoun making inroads from the start through Stockdale and Mike Lowry before Rob Herring peeled off the back of a driving maul line-out to crash over and give these visitors the lead.

John Cooney knocked over the resulting conversion to put the Irishmen 7-0 ahead before ten minutes were on the clock but they were to be the last points they would score that day.

From then on it was all about Glasgow as the Scots chased down a defensive kick to put pressure on Ulster that resulted in a penalty, then scored in similar fashion as their counterparts through Fraser Brown from a driving maul line-out.

Five minutes later, fly-half Adam Hastings added another in acrobatic style after Kyle Steyn exploited a massive gap in the Ulster defence.

Hastings added another three from a penalty as the hosts really began to turn the screw and after 17 phases of picking and going down the centre, the ball was whipped wide and some lightning hands in midfield released Tommy Seymour to trot over on the right.

A second failed conversion attempt from Hastings meant that Ulster trailed 20-7 at half-time and still had a chance to earn their first victory at Scotstoun since 2016.


But just minutes after the restart Zander Fagerson benefited from Ali Price’s sharp break and powered over from close range.

Ulster looked to have finally got themselves back into the game as Stockdale raced for the line but Seymour dived on the centre from behind as he crossed the line and knocked the ball to the floor.

Hastings nailed his second penalty of the night to make it 30-7 before he left the field and the hosts could see the end in sight.

Glasgow defended resolutely to keep the scoreline the same for the remainder of the match as Jonny Gray was named man of the match for his effort on his 100th appearance for the club.

The Guinness PRO14 Final is one of the most entertaining games in the rugby calendar and takes place in Glasgow’s Celtic Park on May 25. Tickets start at just £25 for adults, £1 for kids. Visit

Share this article