Reigning champions the Scarlets recovered from their defeat at the hands of Conference A rivals Leinster in Round 15 with a bonus-point victory over Ulster, Connacht edged out Benetton Rugby in Italy and Ospreys left it late to overcome the Toyota Cheetahs.
- The Scarlets racked up a 34-10 victory over the Ulstermen to move to within three points of Conference A table-toppers Leinster.
- Wales under-20 winger Ryan Conbeer stole the headlines as he came off the bench to score a try on his Guinness PRO14 debut, Ioan Nicholas, Paul Asquith and Tadgh Beirne also dotting down for the hosts at Parc y Scarlets.
- A 79th-minute Ifan Davies try helped the Ospreys break Toyota Cheetahs hearts, Sam Davies converting to rack up a 27-26 win for Allen Clarke’s men.
- Ashley Beck and Sam Cross had earlier gone over for the home side, with tries from Torsten van Jaarsveld, Reniel Hugo, Nico Lee, Craig Barry having put the Cheetahs in control, only for Ospreys to strike late on.
- Benetton Rugby had been on a five-match winning streak in the Guinness PRO14 but Connacht came to town and stopped the Italians in their tracks, coming from behind to run out 22-12 winners.
- Finlay Bealham, Jarrad Butler and Eoin Griffin all went over for Connacht as they claimed their second victory in three games.
What they said:
Scarlets head coach Wayne Pivac said: “We’re very, very pleased to get not only the win but the bonus point.
“I’m very pleased for the young guys that played. The back three was fairly inexperienced as a combination and I thought they handled the occasion really well.
“To see Ryan Conbeer come on and score a try like that on his Guinness PRO14 debut was pretty special – he’s got a big future in the game.”
Ospreys interim head coach Allen Clarke said: “Sam [Davies] was fantastic.
“He had to step in at eight but his energy, footballing ability and work in the contact area were all outstanding.
“He is desperate to make it as a 15-a-side player after doing wonderfully well in the Welsh sevens programme.”
Top of the tweets
Great feeling playing my first @PRO14Official game for @scarlets_rugby at home and to get the bonus point win against a good @UlsterRugby team boys put in a massive shift 💪 thanks to all the fans for the support #inthepack
— Pricey (@PhilPrice88) February 24, 2018
Mental 5 points from the @scarlets_rugby boys tonight. Thanks to the fans as always, great support 👍🔥
— Josh Macleod (@JoshMacleod1) February 24, 2018
— Will Boyde (@WillBoyde) February 24, 2018
A big 👏 to @SCrossy & @ifan_phillips who both scored their first ever #GuinnessPRO14 tries in the second half of tonight’s win over @CheetahsRugby – hopefully plenty more to come 👍#MyTeam pic.twitter.com/RxCS2MbhBH
— Ospreys (@ospreys) February 24, 2018
FULL-TIME Benetton 19 Connacht 22. Big win on the road for the boys. On to South Africa next for Saturday’s meeting with the Cheetahs. #BENvCON
— Connacht Rugby (@connachtrugby) February 24, 2018
Guinness PRO14 Final 2018 Ticket Information: Fans can save up to 20% on selected tickets, and prices start from just €35 for adults and €10 for children, and can be booked via www.ticketmaster.ie