DFP Header Area

Match Page 2017-18 - Scoreboard WP ID: 132

Match Page 2017-18 - Last Time WP ID: 133

Match Page 2017-18 - Current Standing WP: 134

Match Page 2017-18 - H2H WP: 136

Match Page 2017-18 - Last 3 Matches WP: 142

Match Page 2017-18 - Season so Far WP:141

There is currently no preview for this fixture.

Match Page 2017-18 - Lineups WP: 135

Match Page 2017-18 - Match Data WP: 140

Match Page 2017-18 - Timeline WP:139

Scarlets hold on for the win

jmcconnell 13 Oct 2005

Hottie Louw and Liam Davies had scored for the home side, with 11 points from the boot of Garteth Bowen before the Warriors  came back into contention with a try from Gregor Hayter after 50 minutes. The kicking of test player Dan parks then kept Llanelli on the back foot as the fly half bagged 15 points to keep them in sight of a possible victory.
However the Scarlets clung on for the win – but Glasgow were rewarded for their endevours with a bonus point.

The home side opened the scoring with a penalty by Bowen, the hero of last week’s Powergen Cup win over Newcastle.

Glasgow should have crossed for the game’s first try shortly after, but they failed to make the most of a clear overlap with the home defence all at sea. The visitors did manage a three-pointer from the boot of skipper Dan Parks, but a long-range Bowen strike put Llanelli back in front after a messy first quarter.

The Scarlets exerted most of the pressure in the opening period, but Glasgow’s defensive wall was proving a tough one to break down. The Welsh region were also guilty of ignoring runners out wide with the forwards catching a bout of white-line fever from close in.

A third Bowen success made it 9-3 on the half hour, only for the advantage to be reduced once more following sharp work by half-back Sam Pinder. However, Pinder had to sit out the remainder of the half after being shown a yellow card for a professional foul on opposite number Liam Davies.

The Scarlets immediately made the extra man count with Springbok lock Hottie Louw ploughing over from close range and Bowen converting to make it 16-6 at the break. Referee Donald Courtney decided to blow up fractionally early because of a serious leg injury sustained by Glasgow flanker Andrew Wilson, who was carried from the field on a stretcher during the half-time interval.

With Parks on target with the boot, Glasgow remained in touch, although a fine 48th-minute solo try by scrum-half Davies looked to have put the Scarlets on their way.

Nothing appearing on but the youngster showed good pace and awareness to dive in at the corner.

But back came Glasgow again, with replacement Gregor Hayter rampaging over from 30 metres and Parks landing another penalty. That reduced the gap to just four points going into the final quarter and it was tense stuff once again for the home faithful.

Bowen eased the nerves with a penalty seven minutes from time – only for Parks to respond in kind. Glasgow had their chances in the final minute, but some poor options let them down at crucial moments and the home camp were relieved when the final whistle blew.


Match Page 2017-18 - Summary WP:137

Match Page 2017-18 - Match Data WP: 140

Match Page 2017-18 - Timeline WP:139

Match Page 2017-18 - Lineups WP: 135

Match Page 2017-18 - Performance WP:138