DFP Header Area

Match Page 2017-18 - Scoreboard WP ID: 132

Match Page 2017-18 - Last Time WP ID: 133

Match Page 2017-18 - Current Standing WP: 134

Match Page 2017-18 - H2H WP: 136

Match Page 2017-18 - Last 3 Matches WP: 142

Match Page 2017-18 - Season so Far WP:141

There is currently no preview for this fixture.

Match Page 2017-18 - Lineups WP: 135

Match Page 2017-18 - Match Data WP: 140

Match Page 2017-18 - Timeline WP:139

Resurgent Edinburgh gain revenge over Ospreys

Guinness PRO12 Editor 13 Feb 2015

Tom Brown and Grayson Hart crossed in the second-half as Edinburgh continued their fine recent form by downing GUINNESS PRO12 table toppers Ospreys 24-16.

With BT Murrayfield playing host to Scotland’s clash on Sunday, Friday night’s game was moved to Myreside and Kiwi-born fly-half Jade Te Rure got the game’s first try when he dived over for the hosts.

Sam Davies slotted three penalties for the Ospreys in the opening period to keep them in touch and while Te Rure was struggling from the kicking tee, he managed to slot one on the stroke of half time to give Edinburgh a 10-9 lead.

Ospreys’ recent record in Scotland is poor with only one win in their last nine visits north of the border and Brown was fed by replacement fly-half Tom Heathcote for Edinburgh’s second try after the hour mark.

In the closing stages man-of-the-match Hart burrowed over from close range while Dan Evans got a late consolation for the visitors but victory keeps Edinburgh seventh, now knocking on the door of the top six, one point adrift of Connacht.

In the reverse fixture at the Liberty Stadium in Wales, the Ospreys had cut loose in scoring 60 points but Edinburgh impressed at Myreside early on, even if Te Rure missed a seventh minute penalty.

And slightly against the run of play it was Ospreys who took the lead, Davies showing his counterpart how to do it, slotting a penalty when Edinburgh were penalised for not rolling away.

But while Te Rure’s work from the kicking tee left a little to be desired, his work with ball in hand was mightily impressive.

And on 15 minutes the fly-half started and finished the move that brought the first try, making a half break before spreading the ball left and then wrapping round to collect Jack Cuthbert’s offload and dive over.

He appeared to be settling his nerves from the tee by adding the extras but at 7-3 down it was the Ospreys that struck next.

In the battle of the fly-halves Davies showed he had an all-round game as well, a superb show and go putting him in the clear but winger Tom Grabham could not collect the fly-half’s wide ball when the inside pass appeared the better option.

But just before half hour, Davies’ second penalty of the night closed the scoreline to 7-6 and four minutes before the interval the visitors and league leaders re-took the lead, Davies adding his third penalty of the night after a spell of prolonged advantage on the Edinburgh line failed to yield a try.

On the stroke of the interval the hosts should have been back in front but try-scorer Te Rure pulled a straight-forward effort wide of the posts.

But he had the chance to make amends immediately after from bang in front but while his confidence was clearly low, the post helped his pulled effort creep over and Edinburgh went in 10-9 ahead.

The opening of the second period was scrappy but Heathcote, who replaced Te Rure on 50 minutes, re-established a measure of control for the hosts.

And it was the former Bath man who laid on the second score for Brown, a long pass out left leaving the winger with an easy run in.

The replacement fly-half then slipped while taking the conversion but the post again came to the hosts’ aid to stretch the lead out to 17-9.

Damien Hoyland then saw yellow for a dangerous tackle but Davies missed with a penalty that would have put the Ospreys in losing bonus point range.

But it mattered little as Hart burrowed over to seal the win after Roddy Grant was hauled down short of the line.

Heathcote added the extras but there was still time for Evans to cross for a consolation score for the visitors that Davies converted to no avail as Edinburgh maintained an eight-point lead.

Follow us on Facebook, join the conversation on Twitter, sign up to our YouTube channel for extensive match highlights and sign up for our newsletter for regular updates on the GUINNESS PRO12

Match Page 2017-18 - Summary WP:137

Match Page 2017-18 - Match Data WP: 140

Match Page 2017-18 - Timeline WP:139

Match Page 2017-18 - Lineups WP: 135

Match Page 2017-18 - Performance WP:138