DFP Header Area

Week 4: the reaction round up

Guinness PRO12 Editor

29 Sep 2010


After each round of Magners League action we’ll be taking a look at what those involved had to say about their latest win, loss or draw.

Keep your eyes on www.magnersleague.comafter a Magners League weekend for a round up of quotes from players or coaches, or even both.

Benetton Treviso 7 Cardiff Blues 19

Cardiff Blues became the first away team to win a Magners League tie at the Stadio di Monigo as they put an end to Benetton Treviso’s seven-match winning streak at the ground.

The Welsh region showed plenty of guts and determination to get the victory that the Scarlets and Leinster had left behind earlier this season.

The Blues had led 13-0 at halftime thanks to the boot of Dan Parks and a Ben Blair try but Treviso made five changes at the break and launched a spirited fight-back, in which Antonio Pavanello scored a well-deserved try.

But the visitors, guided by the boot of Parks, were able to hang on for a crucial away win as they made it three victories from four games this term.

Cardiff Blues captain Paul Tito

"It was a difficult game. We sat inside all day while it was beautiful outside. Then, as soon as we got on the bus to go to the ground, it started raining!

"The game was a little bit up and down. We had patches where I thought we played very well and then patches where they had us under a lot of pressure in defence.

"It was very pleasing to come out with the points and it’s moved us into that top four in the table.

"We have said that we are going for the Magners League and really looking to put in strong performances week-in week-out and hopefully that can continue."


Dan Parks was in fine form with the boot for the Blues

Edinburgh 32 Leinster 24

Edinburgh blew away the cobwebs to record their first win of the season against last year’s Magners League runners-up Leinster.

After edging into a 12-10 lead at the interval, the floodgates opened in the second half.

Leinster pressed the self-destruct button and, in the space of 15 minutes Tim Visser, Mark Robertson and David Blair all touched down. 

Leinster hit back with two consolation tries but it wasn’t enough to make up the deficit.

Edinburgh head coach Rob Moffat

"It was a good victory but there are plenty of aspects that will need to be better.

"What was pleasing was the way we came out at the start of the second half and played the game at a tempo that enabled us to get the try-scoring bonus point."

Leinster head coach Joe Schmidt

"It was a disappointing effort from us and Edinburgh were a bit more desperate than us.

"The intention was there from us, but when they got on top they bullied us. We didn't play a lot in our half and because of that we couldn't set a platform.

"Credit to Edinburgh, they looked after the ball pretty well throughout."

Newport Gwent Dragons 14 Scarlets 27

A first-half blitz by the Scarlets at Rodney Parade was enough to seal a derby win against a Dragons side with an impressive recent home record.

George North, Jonathan Davies and Matthew Rees all scored tries in a one-sided opening half which saw the west Walian’s surge into a 24-3 lead.

But the Scarlets were hampered by poor discipline, losing three men to the sin-bin in total, and the Dragons launched a comeback with a Will Harries try and two Matthew Jones’ penalty.

The Scarlets remained in control, though, and the Dragons never looked like taking the points as Nigel Davies’ men held on for their third successive win in Newport.

Dragons head coach Paul Turner

"We will be back. We’re going to get better and better as the season progresses.

"The Scarlets did deserve to win but we did gift them some soft tries. We kept Regan King quiet but not Jonathan Davies."

Scarlets captain Matthew Rees

"It’s a great result. It was tough with the second half but it’s great to come up here and get the result which we thoroughly deserved.

"It’s early days but we’re building momentum and looking forward to the Ospreys next week.

"All derbies are tough. We did the hard graft it the first half and held out in the second."


Jonathan Davies was in superb form for the Scarlets

Glasgow Warriors 29 Munster 43

Munster maintained their 100-per-cent start to the season with a bonus-point victory at Firhill Stadium.

Johne Murphy scored a brace while Denis Leamy and Niall Ronan touched down once each for the Red Army. Ronan O’Gara was deadly with the boot and notched-up a 23-point haul.

Glasgow had gone in at half time with a 26-17 lead but in a poor second-half display the hosts only managed one penalty.

Glasgow Warriors head coach Sean Lineen

"Some of the rugby we played was outstanding.

"We then did a couple of silly things at the start of the second half and we will need to cut out these errors ahead of next week.

"There will be a bit of pain with all the changes to the squad, so it's going to take time.

"Munster are singing in the changing room because it means a lot to win at Firhill."

Munster fly-half Ronan O’Gara

"An average performance but a great result is the best way to sum up the match.

"That’s four wins now in a row and momentum is building nicely.

"Our second half performance was impressive considering we underperformed for the first half."

Ospreys 38 Aironi 6

A powerful forwards’ performance guided the Ospreys to a bonus-point win over Aironi at the Liberty Stadium.

The hosts dominated all aspects of the game and were awarded two penalty tries for their massive scrum advantage.

Richard Fussell, Lee Byrne and Tommy Bowe also touched down to condemn Aironi to their fourth straight loss.

Ospreys head coach Sean Holley

"It was a good result but perhaps the performance wasn't quite there.

"We had 70-80 per cent of possession and territory. Although we had five tries we're a bit disappointed we didn't score more.

"But perhaps it was a good thing because the players realise there is stuff to work on. But I'm happy with the score line and we go up the table."


Richard Fussell scored for the Ospreys against Aironi

Connacht 15 Ulster 15

Ulster lost their unbeaten start to the season as they shared the spoils with Connacht at the Galway Sportsground.

In a hard-fought inter-provincial battle Ian Keatley’s fifth penalty on 74 minutes was enough to secure the draw.

The young outside-half had exchanged penalties with Ulster’s Paddy Wallace before Niall O’Connor landed a long-range attempt which looked to have given the visitors the victory.

But Keatley kept his nerve to end Ulster’s 100 per cent winning start.

Connacht director of rugby Eric Elwood

"We’re disappointed with the way we played in attack. We just didn’t respect the ball; we turned over the ball very cheaply.

"It’s like a scene from MASH down there. There are bodies everywhere. It’s a huge ask for us. We don’t have any forwards standing; we have one young lad, a development lad standing.

"We have a couple more options in the backline but we want to go with a purpose to every game we play and that’s our objective come Thursday."

Ulster head coach Brian McLaughlin

"A great team would have polished the game off with that scrum up at the top end.

"But we just aren't quite there at the minute. We still have a few things to work on in and around that area.

"We've got to be more ruthless, more clinical and take our opportunities. We did have opportunities to kill the game off and get ahead, but we gave away a penalty or we lost a line-out or a scrum and that put us under a bit of pressure.

"But we sat down at the start of the season and said that when we go away from home we want to try and get something from every game.

"And I suppose in the end a draw is a fair result. So I was pleased to be going home with two points, but maybe disappointed that it's not four."